More than 50,000 Local Children Benefit As Speedway Children's Charities Distributes $505,728
CONCORD, N.C. (Dec. 6, 2005) - More than 50,000 children in the Charlotte region will benefit from the $505,728 distributed by Speedway Children's Charities Tuesday night during the annual Tree Lighting Ceremony at Lowe's Motor Speedway.
O. Bruton Smith, founder of Speedway Children's Charities and chairman and chief executive officer of Speedway Motorsports, Inc., was joined by North Carolina Secretary of State Elaine Marshall and Scott Smith, president of the Lowe's Motor Speedway chapter of Speedway Children's Charities, in awarding the grants to 68 local organizations.
The money, raised through various activities along with individual and corporate donations throughout the year, aids the organizations in meeting the emotional, medical or educational needs of area children.
Many area agencies are direct benefactors of Speedway Children's Charities, including Camp CARE (summer camp for children with cancer), Armed Services YMCA (mentoring and tutoring program for children of servicemen), and Holy Angels (residential services and innovative programs for children who have varying degrees of mental retardation and physical disabilities).
"It's our way of putting something back into the community," said Bruton Smith. "Children are a wonderful gift and there are so many special needs that can enrich young lives right here in our backyard. It seems we never have enough money to help everyone in need, but we keep trying. Every way you turn, there is a need to help children."
Speedway Children's Charities is dedicated to providing funds to nonprofit charities that make a direct and significant impact in the lives of children in need. SCC acknowledges that many organizations providing the most basic care for children in crisis are those that have limited budgets, staff and name recognition, but are often making the most impact in their neighborhoods, communities and regions. It is Speedway Children's Charities'
mission to provide the tools necessary for these organizations to continue to make a difference.
"On behalf of the children we assist. I would like to thank our volunteers, sponsors, donors and Lowe's Motor Speedway employees," said retired Air Force Maj. Gen. Tom Sadler, executive director of Speedway Children's Charities. "We could never accomplish what we do each year without their help and support."
Bruton Smith founded Speedway Children's Charities in 1984. The organization has since expanded to each of the six Speedway Motorsports, Inc. tracks across the country and has dispersed more than $15 million.
This year, Speedway Children's Charities distributed approximately
$2.4 million to 399 organizations.
- Speedway Children's Charities 2005 LMS Chapter Grant Recipients
- A Child's Place
- Academic Learning
- Alexander Youth Network
- Allegro Foundation
- Alliance for Children & Youth
- Arby's Foundation
- Assistance League of Charlotte
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Charlotte
- Boy Scouts of America-Mecklenburg County
- Boys & Girls Club of Cabarrus County
- Boys & Girls Club of Greater Charlotte
- Boys & Girls Club of York County
- Cabarrus Partnership for Children
- Calvary Home for Children
- Camp CARE
- Carolina Youth Commission
- Chapel of Christ the King Weekday School Charity League
- Charlotte Boxing Academy Charlotte Emergency Housing
- Charlotte Pregnancy Care Center
- Charlotte Attention Home
- Children's Scholarship Fund
- Communities in Schools of Charlotte-Meck.
- Communities in Schools of Lancaster Co.
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Florence Crittenton Services
- Girl Scouts of the Pioneer Council
- Girl Scouts, Hornets' Nest Council
- Group Homes for the Autistic
- Hendrick Foundation for Children
- Holy Angels
- Hospice & Community Care
- Hospice & Palliative Care
- Hospice of Cabarrus County
- Johnston YMCA
- Joni and Friends
- JOYRide Therapeutic Riding Center
- Junior Charity League of Concord
- Keystone Substance Abuse Service
- Lancaster Children's Home
- LifeSpan Incorporated
- Misty Meadows Mitey Riders
- Motor Racing Outreach
- North Mecklenburg Child Development
- NorthEast Medical Center
- Palmetto Citizens Against Sexual Assault
- Prevent Blindness North Carolina
- Reach Out and Read - Charlotte
- Room At The Inn Salvation Army of Cabarrus County
- Seigle Avenue Partners Special Olympics Cabarrus Co.
- Special Operations Warrior Foundation
- The Family Center
- The Girls' Home
- Thompson Child & Family Focus
- Trey and Tia Dodson Memorial Scholarship
- United Family Services
- Victory Junction Gang Camp
- YMCA Armed Services
- YMCA Camp Thunderbird
- York Place Youth Homes